PAS 5748:2011, Specification for the planning, application and measurement of cleanliness services in hospitals
BSI, the Department of Health and the National Patient Safety Agency have developed a new specification for cleanliness in healthcare facilities.
Publicly Available Specification (PAS) 5748 provides a framework for the planning, application and measurement of cleanliness in hospitals.
In particular, PAS 5748 specifies requirements for:
- Governance of cleanliness services
- Assessing the risk of a lack of cleanliness both for infection and damage to patient, public or staff confidence
- Providing cleaning tasks
- Measuring cleanliness on the basis of visual inspection – including setting agreed performance levels
- Taking corrective action
- Conducting performance analysis and implementing improvement actions
- Providing a continuous service improvement plan
- Reporting cleanliness outcomes.
These are now available on the BSI website - you have to register on the site to see them (free to NHS members)